2022 Children’s Poetry Competition
Get writing! Our Children’s Poetry Competition is now open for entries!
Our poetry competition is a chance for children to use their imagination, improve their creative writing skills, gain confidence, and win some fantastic literary prizes!
This free-to-enter competition is open to all primary age children, whether you’re an aspiring poet or a complete beginner.
Listen to competition judge Andy Craven-Griffiths as he shares all the information you’ll need!
Want to enter? Submit your poems online via the entry form here!
This year, poems should be inspired by the theme of
You can write about anything, as long as it is inspired by the theme of looking out. Need some ideas?
Looking out of a window or a submarine
Looking out for a friend or the environment
Looking out towards space or the mountains
Looking outside the box
However you interpret the theme, we want to see your work!
- Reception, Year 1, Year 2
- Years 3 and 4
- Years 5 and 6
Please note that we run a separate Young People’s Poetry Competition for Years 7 to 13. You can find more details here.
- Winners will be invited to read their poems at a special prize giving event this summer.
- Winners will receive book tokens.
- Winners and runners up will each receive a book and a certificate.
- Winners and runners up will have their poems displayed on the ILF website.
- One entry per young poet. Please make sure it is original work.
- Poems should be on the subject of looking out.
- Poems should be no longer than 28 lines (excluding the title).
- Entries are open to Yorkshire and Lancashire residents only.
The competition will be judged by poet and writer Andy Craven-Griffiths. He will be looking for originality, use of language and distinct ideas.
ILF will accept any subject matter as long as there is an explicit link to the theme of looking out.
ILF are unable to offer feedback on individual poems or enter into any correspondence regarding judging and selection.
How to Enter
Alternatively you can print off the entry form here and send your poem to the following address:
Ilkley Literature Festival
9 The Grove
The deadline for entries is Friday 27 May 2022.
If you have any further questions, please contact email@example.com and we will be happy to help.