Children’s Poetry Competition 2020
Our annual Children’s Poetry Competition is now open for entries!
Schools and individual children from Yorkshire and Lancashire are welcome to enter this competition.
- Reception, Year 1, Year 2
- Year 3 and 4
- Year 5 and 6
Please note: We run a separate poetry competition for Years 7-13. You can find details here.
Prizes For Each Age Group
- Winners will be invited to read their poems at a special event at this year’s Festival (subject to the event being able to go ahead as planned in October).
- Winners will get book tokens and both winners and runners up will each get a certificate.
- One entry per young poet. Please make sure it’s all their own work.
- Poems should be on the theme of kindness.
- Poems should be no longer than 28 lines (excluding the title).
- Entries are open to Yorkshire and Lancashire residents only.
Judges will be looking for originality, use of language, distinctive ideas that are clearly the child’s own work.
We are sorry we are unable to offer feedback on individual poems or enter into any correspondence regarding judging and selection.
How to Enter
Notes to parents/carers and teachers: Due to the public health restrictions in place due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we are only able to accept entries online this year. We are sorry for any difficulties this may cause.
To submit your entry:
- Write your poem on one side of A4 paper. You can do this by hand on real paper or type it on your computer. Both are fine. If you want to decorate your entry with your own drawings, please do. We like pictures as well as words!
- Make sure you have written your full name (first and last names) and your school year (for example, Year 5) on your entry.
- If using a computer, save the document with your poem. If using paper, get an adult to help you take a good, clear photo of your poem with a phone or tablet camera so it can be read easily.
- Then you will need to go online and fill in the online entry form with your name and contact details. Click here to go to the online entry form. You will need to ask an adult to help you with this.
- The form will then ask you to upload your saved poem file – or the photo of your poem.
- Then click the ‘submit’ button and you are done!
Closing date for receipt of entries: Monday 21 September 2020.
If you have any further questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to help.